Would this stop you from drinking soda pop???

Would this stop you from drinking soda pop???

obesity warning soda pop so 766x1024 Would this stop you from drinking soda pop???

1. Brit

October 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Nope, I would cover it up and drink it anyway. But since I only drink pop a couple times a month anyway, I don’t see it mattering much.

2. Anne

October 25, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Common sense- natural derivatives are what our body needs for fuel, functioning, and health….this has ruled what I stick in my mouth. Soda is sadly considered a ” drink” when I consider it a poison as are food colors, preservatives, and additives. The “average” American child asks for soda as a drink…this is sad when their bodies are starved of all the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals needed to grow healthy and maintain optimal health. Sodas and sugary, carbonated & caffeinated poisons should be banned from schools and parents should really stop and use their common sense.

3. Joan Bunney

October 25, 2012 at 10:32 am

After thirty two years smoking cigarettes, I quit (cold turkey) seventeen years ago because I educated myself and knew there would be a far-reaching health-related price to pay if I continued.

Same with colas. I educated myself. After learning about the acidic properties of sodas, what that was doing to my health, I quit drinking any and all decades ago.

Change only works if we as individuals decide to do something about it first regardless of help from the workplace or deterrents such as taxes although I support all deterrents.

October 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Agreed – no form of motivation (positive or punitive) will make a whit of difference if the person isn’t willing to change their behavior.

And for me…that’s the billion dollar question…how do you motivate people to change behavior? Pretty sure these warnings on their own aren’t enough of a motivational choice…but what if we added a massive “get-healthy” promotional campaign featuring mega-celebrities???

4. Stuart Phillips

October 24, 2012 at 9:28 am

It didn’t work for tobacco what make them think this will work here? Quoting Dr. Ayra Sharma, “Rather than calling for populistic and unproven policy strategies, many of which fall in the categories of tax, ban, shame, blame, scare, punish, and have yet to prove effective in any jurisdiction in preventing childhood (and ultimately adult) obesity, I would have much preferred Ontario’s doctors to turn inward to look at steps that they could themselves take to better tackle this epidemic in their offices.”

October 24, 2012 at 9:35 am

IMHO, this entire discussion is 99% spin and 1% fact.

The OMA is looking to re-build their image that took a beating with their argument with McGuinty. On the other hand, we have the Ontario Taxpayers Assn complaining about a junk food tax but ignores the effect junk food has on the healthcare system. As well the processed food lobby group (FCPC) pretends to be concerned with the tax hit but never mentions their own agenda

The only study I have seen that indicates a junk food tax WILL work was one that compared small tax bumps and LARGE tax bumps – The small taxes didn’t have an effect – the big taxes did…of course that means we’ll be paying $5 for a can of Coke