A new study, published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation, showed that this great big delicious, chocolate-fudge ice cream sundae has the power to reduce feelings of sadness.
Congratulations science…..you now know what every Mom with a crying child has known for millenia.
Food soothes raw emotions.
In particular, fatty foods can reduce feelings of sadness or stress or depression…
The researchers took a group of twelve healthy human volunteers and:
- Put them on a 12 hour fast
- Induced either neutral or sad emotions (via music & visual images)
- Delivered an intragastric infusion of either fatty acids of saline
- Measured their levels of fullness, hunger, nausea and mood
- Performed a 40-minute fMRI scan, while
- Measuring fullness, hunger, nausea and mood 3 more times during the fMRI scan.
Here’s what they found
- Hunger scores increased during sad emotion and decreased during neutral emotion conditions (main effect of emotion).
- The difference in hunger ratings between the emotions was much smaller in fat compared with that in saline vehicle conditions (fat-by-emotion interaction effect)
- This indicates that the effect of sad mood on hunger is attenuated by fatty acids.
- The fMRI results agreed with these findings – showing that the behavioral and nerve cell responses to sad emotions were also lessened.
- Mood ratings decreased during the sad conditions, with no change or a slight increase during the neutral conditions (main effect of emotion).
- The difference between emotions was smaller in the fat than in the saline vehicle conditions (fat-by-emotion interaction effect).
- This difference confirms that fatty acids successfully moderate feelings of sadness.
Previous research has shown that sugary, high-carb foods are effective in attenuating moods - ie making sad people less sad.
This study shows that dietary fat has the same effect.
However, it neglects to mention that drowning your sorrows in lasagna & ice cream sundaes is not a fool-proof solution.
Take a look at these posts...