Consistency is Key to Fitness Success

zumba Consistency is Key to Fitness Success

I design fantastic training / nutrition programs.

Taking into account all of your physical/mental/emotional quirks, my programs are pretty much guaranteed to get you the body you want in the shortest amount of time and with the least amount of work.

There’s only one problem.

If you skip workouts and cheat on the meal plan…it ain’t gonna work.

And that’s why consistency is key to fitness success.

• If you HATE vegetables, you’re not going to stick to a vegetarian/Paleo/Mediterranean diet
  • If the nearest health club is 30 minutes away from home or work, you’re going to skip workouts
  • If your wife wants you to join her Zumba class but you hate to dance, what do you think is going to happen?

You’re going to quit. And since quitting is pretty much the opposite of consistency, your fitness goals will go straight down the drain.

The Moral of this Story

But, do it consistently – day in and day out

1. Beach Wood

December 6, 2012 at 4:19 am

Great post! Most of us forget to focus on what we enjoy and align those choices to a plan that makes sense for our health…

2. Samer - Fleetly

June 28, 2011 at 5:46 am

A study done by a pair of Canadian Psychologists uncovered something interesting about people at the racetrack: Just after placing a bet, they are much more confident of their horse’s chances of winning than they are immediately before laying don that bet (from Influence, by Robert Cialdini).

This is the principal of consistency: the desire to appear consistent is strong enough to compel us to do what we ordinarily would not.

Here is how you can apply this:
    1) Set challenges for yourself. These need to be a slight stretch, but achievable, incremental goals. As you hit your challenges, you will feel good about your progress and gain positive momentum.

2) Tell your friends about your fitness goals, and get positive social proof. It is harder to break a public commitment than a private one.

If you are having a hard time being consistent with workouts, doing the above may well help you.

3. Brit

February 20, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Or, if waking up at 5 am (or 4:30 in my case, because 5 am didn’t give me enough time to do these workouts) means you’re most likely going to hit the snooze button, maybe working out in the evenings is better. Going to bed early is easier said than done when you are an extreme night-owl.

February 22, 2011 at 8:13 am

touche

4. Hughes @ Fasting Retreats

February 20, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Sad to say but regardless how good your weight loss program is or how effective the tools that you’re using, if you don’t have perseverance and self-discipline you will never achieve your goal.

The best way to be consistent is by waking up 5am in the morning. Do your exercise, eat a healthy meal and go to work. You can do plenty of things in the morning by going to bed early.

5. Nancy

January 16, 2011 at 1:28 am

I think that for folks who are starting from a stagnant lifestyle and want to make a change, it’s hard for them to imagine that they’ll be daily exercisers. I believe those kinds of changes, no matter what kind of diet or fitness routine you choose, require gradual integration in order to become permanent rather than a phase. A lot of times, unfit people take on too much gym time too quickly and lose their wind or get injured within a month or two. Maybe starting with tiny goals that work for you, like 1 or 2 20 minute sessions a week plus a walk after dinner for a month, then building on that will create sustainable, visible change

To be sure, I’m confident that anyone can get off their couch and safely learn to run a 5K in about 2 months, even obese individuals. But for people who feel less confident or who are inclined to lose motivation after a few months, I think slower build-up is a good way to keep life balanced in general and increase chances of success

6. Dr. J

January 15, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Excuse my reply, Brit, but easy doesn’t have to do with whether you do it or not. If you do it in the AM it will be easier to get it done and really, you’ll get used to it and like the way it adds to your whole day!

7. Dr. J

January 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Every time I have asked a fit person what is the number one thing for them that keeps them fit they have said, consistency!

8. geoffers100

January 15, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I find that consistency is helped if I do classes like body pump, spin and circuits and as the classes are pre booked I know I have to attend. Every few weeks I just mix them up to stop the body getting used to it. Nice weather soon I can get out on the bike!

9. Brandy

January 15, 2011 at 12:41 pm

@Henway- For me, it’s all about getting my stuff done BEFORE I even think of sitting on the couch. I have a plan of action when I get home and either my gym bag is packed to go to a class or the tools I need for my at home workout are set up and ready to go.

I also keep a list of the reasons that I cannot give up (increased lifespan, more energy for fun things, feeling great) AND when I first started out, I used to write down how I felt after exercise and I still read that when I feel like not doing anything.

10. Brit

January 15, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I’ve been trying…I just don’t know what is going to help me most with the consistency. Exercising after work didn’t always work because sometimes I’d get home late and not want to do it. Working out first thing in the morning takes care of that, but then I have to wake up really really early, and I don’t like that either. Ugh.

11. Henway

January 15, 2011 at 9:33 am

Well, I know that being consistent is the key to achieving your health goals. But how do we become consistent when it’s so easy to lose motivation, and sit on the couch after a tiring day of work, and just lay around all day during the weekend when it’s so cold outside to do anything?

12. Pingback: Tweets that mention Consistency is Key to Fitness Success -- Topsy.com

13. Pingback: Tweets that mention Consistency is Key to Fitness Success -- Topsy.com