Caffeine Gum Supercharges Your Workout

caffeine gum 791x1024 Caffeine Gum Supercharges Your Workout

Want to get more out of your workouts?

Caffeine Gum may be the answer.

According to this study, chewing caffeinated gum during an interval sprint workout (4 sets of 5 sprints x 30 seconds per sprint) resulted in….

• a 5.4% improvement in performance (mean power output),
  • increased testosterone production,
  • reduced cortisol production
  • and reduced levels of fatigue

Conclusion

Over the past few months, I have been cutting back on my consumption of coffee/caffeine as I found that my desire for coffee was morphing from a want into a need…..and I have no intention of becoming any more addicted to Starbucks than I already am.

However, for days when I want to perform at my best, chewing on some caffeinated gum seems to be a pretty harmless way to boost performance by 5%.

And 5% is more than enough to separate 1st place from 2nd place.

1. James Roger

August 15, 2012 at 4:09 am

I chew Vibe Energy Gum before I work out – the new version they just released is pretty damn good – I get it in Bristol but I’ve seen it online. Really does make a positive impact for me.

2. qwerty

July 4, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I usually take a high caffiene drink before a workout for a bit of a difference (nothing major though, and I think its around 200mg that I’m consuming from pepsi max, lucosade alert shot/s, wellwomen drink and anything else I can think to try). Have to say, for some reason I find “weak filter starbucks tall with soya” coffee makes a bigger difference then all those combined! Where do you get this gum in the UK?

3. Luke

March 2, 2011 at 9:47 am

Do you think that there could be any side affects from taking in more caffeine than you need.? I would like to see more research done on this.

March 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Excessive caffeine intake can lead to a fast heart rate, excessive urination, nausea, vomiting, restlessness, anxiety, depression, tremors, and difficulty sleeping.

The effect of caffeine on health has been widely studied. In particular, the effects of caffeine on fibrocystic breast disease, heart and blood vessel disease, birth defects, reproductive function, and behavior in children has been closely examined. The American Medical Association Council on Scientific Affairs says that moderate tea or coffee drinking likely has no negative effective on one’s health, as long as the person lives an otherwise healthy lifestyle. However, the organization emphasizes moderate caffeine use.

Abrupt withdrawal of caffeine may cause headaches, drowsiness, irritability, nausea, vomiting, and other symptoms. Reduce caffeine intake gradually to prevent any symptoms of withdrawal.

4. Nancy

November 25, 2010 at 8:53 am

Super interesting. I remember when it was legal people used to chew ephedra/caffeine gum before workouts, so this must be the more benign little brother of that. I am reluctant still to use caffeine myself, as I don’t know my actual cortisol levels throughout the day (would need a spit test for that), and I don’t want to necessarily affect my adrenals unless I know their output. I know some western docs are not on board with diagnosing adrenal burnout, but at the very least I imagine anyone will agree that we need to balance cortisol, DHEA, testosterone, and all our other hormones. I often wonder if burned out adrenals is when caffeine (or sugar even) desire becomes a need. I do hear lots of people benefitting from a little before a workout though, so while it’s not for me, it’s something to consider

5. Pingback: Creatine Vs.The Media, Steroids at the Gym, Caffeine and Stress, and more… « LIVING! Not Surviving

6. Ahmed

September 3, 2010 at 9:51 am

This was a big study because of the <400 mg caffeine causing reduced cortisol when most people would say it would increase it.

I'm assuming it was because of the increase in testosterone that cortisol was lowered since it's really the same hormone tree.

Seeing how much cortisol would go up post-workout would of been interesting too.

Good study and good job!

7. Jim

August 31, 2010 at 3:57 am

I always have a cup of black coffee (Timmys)before every workout.It does work because I have worked out without it and there is a difference in intensity and concentration.When taking NO2 I now read the label fully as some have caffine already in them and I got an overload and the shakes.I am now using Xpand NO2 caffine free.

August 31, 2010 at 5:30 am

One of my gyms has a Second Cup coffee shop in the building – It’s funny to see the “gorillas” downing shots of pre-workout espresso & drip coffee next to the bookish university students & the Toronto hipsters that usually frequent my hood.

8. Jonathan

August 27, 2010 at 7:01 am

Can you just start chewing when you warm up and let it rip?

August 27, 2010 at 10:10 am

That’s my plan – I am going to try & find a pack prior to today’s workout