Vinegar is a Fat-Burning, Waist Shrinking, Cholesterol Lowering Superfood

vinegar Vinegar is a Fat Burning, Waist Shrinking, Cholesterol Lowering Superfood

In yesterday’s post, I introduced you to a study which showed that plain ole’ vinegar is effective in suppressing body fat accumulation.

More specifically, the researchers found that laboratory mice fed a high-fat diet and given acetic acid developed significantly less body fat (up to 10 percent less) than other mice.

I was so excited by this low-tech, inexpensive weight loss trick that I contacted the author of the study.

And to my surprise, he emailed an even more recent study which looks at the fat-burning effects of vinegar on actual human beings….no more mice studies.

The Science

In this study, researchers investigated the effects of vinegar intake on the reduction of body-fat mass in obese Japanese students.

The 175 students were randomly assigned to three groups of similar body-weight, BMI and waist circumference.

During the 12 week study, the participants ingested 500ml daily of a beverage containing either 15 ml of apple vinegar (750 mg AcOH – acetic acid), 30 ml of vinegar (1500 mg AcOH) or 0 ml of vinegar (0 mg AcOH, placebo).

In place of vinegar, the placebo group ingested 1250 mg of lactate.

To make them more palatable, all beverages contained the equal amount of flavor and artificial sweetener.

The Results

After only 4 weeks, the vinegar-group participants saw their body-weight, BMI and body-fat percentages improve. These improvements continued  in a dose dependent manner for the entire 12 weeks

Translation: more vinegar = more fat loss

In addition to BF, BMI and BF%, waist circumference, waist-hip ratio, LDL cholesterol and serum TG (triglyceride) levels also fell (starting in week 8).

These results can be considered to be due to the body-fat loss because the VFA (visceral fat), SFA (subcutaneous fat) and TFA  (total fat) values were significantly lower in the vinegar groups than in the placebo group.

salt vinegar chips Vinegar is a Fat Burning, Waist Shrinking, Cholesterol Lowering Superfood

Does the vinegar make these “diet” chips?

Conclusion

15 ml (0.5 oz or 1 tbsp) of vinegar per day is enough to significantly improve your:

• Body-Weight
  • BMI
  • Body-Fat Percentage
  • Waist Circumference
  • Waist-Hip ratio
  • LDL Cholesterol
  • Serum TG
  • Visceral Body-Fat, and
  • Subcutaneous Body-Fat

And considering that these health markers are associated with type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke and metabolic syndrome, perhaps it might be wise to consider adding a tbsp or two of vinegar to your daily diet.

1. Mike

April 29, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I have been taking vinger for about three years to help with my joints. I did lower my fat content. I take 2 table spoons every morning with one table spoon of olive oil. Caution though. Vinegar is very hard on your teeth. Proceed with caution!!!

2. Bernie

April 29, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Watch out for the effects on your PH. Some people could have big face skin problems. Red spots, dry skin etc.

3. charley

March 16, 2013 at 10:31 am

I read where they say the acid in the vinegar could be hard on the enamel on your teeth so rinse your mouth well!

4. Stephen Gerard Villanueva

October 19, 2011 at 10:46 pm

So, Trisha… what you're saying is organic ACV is better than the vinegar on store shelves? The article did not specify the vinegar had to be organic. However, I read the post from Dr. Arnone in this discussion thread and found he promoted Bragg’s Raw Organic ACV. While you're presently on the HCG diet, I'm not. However, I think I'll give this a try for the next eight weeks or so, and see what kind of results I get. Thanks for your input.

• Trisha Kammers

October 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I also use the Braggs ACV. Did you read that the organic kind is loaded with potassium, magnesium, calcium and a few other things that I can't remember right now. Since I have been using it I no longer have arthritis pain in my thumb joint or in my big toe on my left foot.

5. Stephen Gerard Villanueva

October 19, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Interesting article on the effects of taking vinegar to lose weight. Need to read up on this research.

• Trisha Kammers

October 19, 2011 at 10:17 pm

You have to make sure the vinegar is organic apple cider vinegar to reap all of the health benefits. I am on the HCG diet and we are told to take 2 tbl. of organic apple cider vinegar a day.

6. Dr Arnone

August 9, 2011 at 8:11 am

I am an Upper Cervical Specific Doctor of Chiropractic and a patient told me about ACV 3 yrs ago. I then researched the food and shortly after began to drink it daily. The kind of ACV makes a difference and My Wife and I will only drink Bragg’s Raw Organic ACV with “the mother”.
    The main reason that I drink it is to clean myself out, to clean out my tubes, my entire digestive tract. I also find that it seems to curb my appetite, and keeps me regular.
    My wife noticed her hair being much softer and shinier.
    I recommend his to my patients and had a man’s dandruff disappear after a couple o months.
    There are many benefits of drinking ACV and some people even soak their feet in it or rub it on skintags, etc.
    If you are interested in learning more about ACV there is a book by Bragg that has some good information, that was the book that I read when I first got started.
    Just like the work that I practice in St Louis for children and adults, It won’t do everything
    for everybody, but it will always do at least one thing good for everybody, and we all could use some improvement in our lives.

7. gurpreet

June 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm

i think i should this vinni thing guys ….comments abt this were so gud

8. qwerty

March 25, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I have had vinegar (apple cider type) over my main meal for the past 3 years. Been trying to lose weight too and I have to say this study sounds like rubbish: for the first of those 3 years I actually gained weight, like 2 stone despite my rapid exercise increase (cardio based 90% muscle building 10% then stretching and yoga in addition). It was only in the past year I managed to lose one of those stones through cutting my diet down to 1400kcals a day, dropping 50% of my exercise and by default consuming about 75% less vinegar due to eating less. I used to get through a bottle a week now its about a bottle a month or two months.

Either I am just different of this study is rubbish. I continue to take the ACV on every meal but only as I like the taste and it helps with my digestion and bloating rather then thinking it will mean I lose weight from it.

• Sam

September 24, 2012 at 10:57 am

@ Qwerty..did you ever think you didn’t lose weight because you were strength training? You probably built a lot of muscle which would make you gain weight ….

9. Marissa

March 25, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Michael, I’m with u on that but it is apparently advisable to mix acv with a little water bcoz of the adverse effects on ur gullet. This info is from another bloggers’ website.

10. Michael

January 18, 2011 at 5:19 am

Maybe Im crazy, but I like the taste pure very much.

:p

11. Mari Ann Lisenbe

October 27, 2009 at 1:43 am

I’ve been drinking apple cider vinegar since seeing this study last spring. At first, I had to force my husband to drink it, but now, he even sees the benefits.

In addition to burning fat, ACV also helps relieve acid indigestion (gastric reflux). I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but it actually works since it helps you digest your food better.

It is also good for clearing up bladder infections, and helps prevent muscle cramps.

I drink it in a cup of warm water, no sweetener. My husband adds splenda or xylitol to his.

12. Denise

October 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm

I like vinegar on many different things. It’s very good on steamed or fried cabbage, lentil soup and steamed vegetables … to name a few.

13. John

October 16, 2009 at 9:04 am

Doesn’t sound too good to be true to me considering that vinegar is the most awful tasting substance on this earth. Yuck!

14. Steve Parker, M.D.

October 15, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it.

Offhand, I can’t think of any way to incorporate vinegar into my diet except for vingegar and oil salad dressing.

-Steve

• Brian

October 19, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Apple Cider Vinegar tabs/capsules. AND they are very cheap. Easy peasy.

October 15, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Believe it or not I found 6353 search results for vinegar on the Food Network

16. dmdalton

October 16, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Some 20-30 years ago I recall this being popular along with brewer’s yeast (without any research to back it up). Recommendation was to have it as an evening “cocktail” on the rocks, shaken-stirred your choice. If you can develop a taste for drinking dry martini’s, you can develop a taste for this. ;-)