The Official "Make Ryan Reynolds your Beeyotch" Workout

ryan reynolds transformation The Official "Make Ryan Reynolds your Beeyotch" Workout

A few months ago, I created a Squidoo Lens about Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool Workout.

The lens was essentially an introduction to the workouts that Reynolds had to endure in order to transform his naturally thin (aka scrawny) frame into a muscular, ripped physique worthy of superhero status.

Since then, I have received a ton of emails from guys eager to build their own Deadpool bodies.

ryan reynolds The Official "Make Ryan Reynolds your Beeyotch" Workout

The only problem was that I was underwhelmed by the original workout.

It was good, but it wasn’t great.

Sure, it would help you look like a superhero, but it wouldn’t help you perform like a superhero.

So, I re-invented the Deadpool workout and spent the summer beta testing it on some willing victims up here in Toronto.

And, if I say so myself, I have come up with a seriously kick-ass training program.

Over 3 months, my 4 scrawny test subjects:

• Gained between 5 and 14 lbs of muscle
  • Increased their max strength between 55 & 197% (Front Squat)
  • Saw their speed, power & anaerobic endurance go through the roof (Hill Sprints)
  • And, oh yeah, they also lost a ton of baby-fat in the process.
  • The average body-fat percentage at the beginning of the test was 21%.
  • At the end of the 3 months, the average body-fat was down to 9% (a Bod-Pod was used to measure BF%)

wolverine vs deadpool The Official "Make Ryan Reynolds your Beeyotch" WorkoutIn short, by the end of the summer, my little guinea pigs didn’t just look like superheroes.

They were superheroes.

So, without any further ado, I would like to present…

The Official “Make Ryan Reynolds your Beeyotch” Workout

(Because this workout is too detailed for one post, I am going to break it into chunks – today’s chunk will outline the theory behind my madness)

Like the original workout, my MRRYB workout had two distinct phases.

Phase 1 – Muscle Building

The key to the success of this phase was the focus on the nervous system and the development of fast twitch muscle fibers.

Using a combination of high speed movements and plyometric style loading, my GPs forced their fast twitch muscle fibers to engage during part 1 of their 2-part supersets.

(Here’s how I activated their fast-twitch muscle fibers)

Once I had the fast twitch fibers turned on, I moved them immediately to part-2 of the superset.

In part 2, the GPs were able to handle loads much heavier than normal because of the activation of their hard to activate fast twitch fibers.

Taking advantage of this situation, part 2 of the superset consisted of explosive concentric movements combined with slow eccentric movements. The GPs were not allowed to pause at either the top or bottom of the lift.

And yet, due to the activation of the fast twitch fibers, the GPs were able to lift more than ever before, add more muscle than ever before and yet experience only moderate muscle soreness.

Depending upon the exercise, the muscle group and the techniques used, reps for each part of the superset ranged from 3 to 8 reps.

Phase 2 – Getting Ripped

Phase 2 is all about melting the baby-fat off of the newly built muscle.

To do that, I introduced the GPs to some particularly nasty HIIT and HIRT workouts.

And while I expected fairly rapid fat loss, I did not expect what happened.

For some reason, in the first week, each of the GPs lost over  6 lbs of fat.

And this is after almost 2 months of very intense training and a strict diet. They had already lost fat during phase 1.

I can only speculate on the reason behind the very rapid fat loss, but to be honest, I don’t care. I am more than happy to leave the science to the scientists. All I know is that this workout hit one out of the park.

In the next installment of this series, I will get into the nuts and bolts of the workout.

If you like what you see here, click here for updates or Share this Post with the rest of the world.

Related Posts

1. Jay

August 22, 2012 at 1:20 pm

The example workouts for phase 1 are awesome. Do you have any examples of phase 2? Also how long should each phase go on? I plan on starting this soon.

August 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Hey Jay – I had such great feedback from these workouts, I decided to make this a full-time part of the blog and created the Best Body series of workouts – Here are the 52 weeks I did in 2011 and here is what we’ve done so far in 2012

2. Jason

May 26, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Where can we find the nuts and bolts of Phase 2?

3. Pingback: Get Six Pack Abs 'Secrets' Of Big Screen Action Stars Revealed (Part 2)

4. Pingback: The Ryan Reynolds Workout plan? « Nutraceutical's Weblog

5. Pingback: Muscle building tips

6. Pingback: The Deadpool Workout Series

7. Pingback: Health Habits – health & fitness blog « Diets-explained

8. Melt It Off

May 20, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Ryan Reynolds isn’t as big as he is ripped. any combo of cardio and diet with a strict weight lifting regimen should get you pretty close.

9. Cassie

May 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Ryan reynolds….you are HANDSOME…and i want your body…enough said. ;)

10. Pingback: A Super-Sexy David Beckham-esque HIIT Sprint Workout | Health Habits

11. grace

November 25, 2009 at 1:52 pm

btw I like the other RRs you’ve posted on too… Rudy Reyes and Richard Roll… and #26 (part 2) *haaa* you crack me UP.

12. grace

November 25, 2009 at 1:44 pm

OMG. You. Are. Hilarious. A 4-part Deadpool workout ??!

YOU ROCK!!

I love RR… I couldn’t help to blog about him and his workout as well… I like his new GF/wife too… SJ is a goddess. I think she is low carb now coz she looks ripped (yet round)…

13. Matt Jones

September 16, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Man 21% to 9% in 12 short weeks, those results make me drool and angry all at the same time. I wish I could just take a 3 month vacation, go to a resort like location, and do this type of workout (and have the diet provided). Sure would beat the heck out of what I have been able to accomplish so far on my own!

-Matt

14. dmdalton

September 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Looking forward to reading more about this. I find your blogs quite inspiring. Keep up the great work.

Will you be including diet info or at least pointing us back to past blogs if it is already posted?

Dave

15. Truth About Abs

September 14, 2009 at 11:03 pm

OMG, hurry up and post the next installment!! I’m already whincing in pain after reading this installment and don’t even know what’s in the workout yet. I can’t wait to try it on myself and see if I can make myself cry!! LOL

soon, right? its coming soon? :-)
    GWNN

September 16, 2009 at 9:17 am

Diet info will be included.

The GPs followed my version of a Paleo-style diet.
    A search for Paleo in my archives should give you a good idea of the type of diet we used

17. dmdalton

September 16, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Thanks.

September 17, 2009 at 7:12 am

Forget the resort…how about a desert island where all there is to eat is fruit/veg & any animals that you can catch

We’ll call it the Survivor Spa & Weight Loss Clinic