How to Build a Ninja Warrior

ninja warrior How to Build a Ninja Warrior

For those of you unfamiliar with the G4 tv show Ninja Warrior, check out the following video:

and this one…

So, do you think you could do that?

My fellow blogger John at Total Transformation thinks he can.

He has blogged about it a few times.

So, in the spirit of blogger fellowship, I have offered to design a training program to help him transform his body into a physical freak of nature….perhaps even into a true Ninja Warrior.

As John mentioned in today’s post,  we will both be reporting upon his progress.

I will be posting his training program as changes are made.

John will be posting his progress, and probably how much he hates my guts for what I am putting him through.

How to Build a Ninja Warrior

If you look at the winners of Ninja Warrior, you will notice some similarities:

• A very high strength : body weight ratio
  • Excellent muscular control, balance and coordination
  • Freakish hand strength and endurance
  • An efficient anaerobic energy system
  • Explosive speed and quickness
  • An ability to endure pain
  • No fear
  • No small degree of luck

Is John a Ninja Warrior?

Not just yet.

As this post shows, he has already made some big steps in improving his fitness.

Now it’s time to step it up a notch.

Ninja Warrior Training

Based upon John’s current level of fitness and where he wants to be in a year’s time, I have designed a 3 phase training plan.

To further confuse things, none of these phases are written in stone. As John’s fitness improves, it is unlikely that his progress will be consistent over all of the different aspects of fitness. That is to be expected and I will adjust his program to keep him improving as quickly as possible.

So without further ado, here’s John’s Ninja Warrior training program

STAGE 1 – GOALS

• Develop Agility – combination of quickness, mobility, strength…
  • Develop Overall Strength
  • Develop VO2 Max – specifically over a 30 min. Max time period
  • Develop Anaerobic Endurance
  • Bullet-proof his joints – ankles, shoulders, knees, hips and spine

STAGE 2 – GOALS

• Continue to Develop Agility – combination of quickness, mobility, strength…
  • Continue to Develop VO2 Max – specifically over a 30 min. Max time period
  • Continue to Develop Anaerobic Endurance
  • Continue to Bullet Proof his joints – ankles, shoulders, knees, hips and spine
  • Continue to Develop Overall Strength
  • Shift from Strength Training to Power Training
  • Begin to combine Speed / Quickness training with Agility Training
  • Start to train for Technical Skills – Ninja Warrior / Parkour Training

STAGE 3 – GOALS

• Continue to Develop Agility – combination of quickness, mobility, strength…
  • Continue to Develop VO2 Max – specifically over a 30 min. Max time period
  • Continue to Develop Anaerobic Endurance
  • Continue to Bullet Proof your joints – ankles, shoulders, knees, hips and spine
  • Continue to Develop Overall Strength
  • Continue to develop Power Training
  • Continue to combine Speed / Quickness training with Agility Training
  • Continue to train Technical Skills – Ninja Warrior / Parkour Training

In Stage 3, John will be doing less and less of Stage 1 and 2 style training and putting more time and energy on specific Ninja Warrior drills.

Body Composition will be addressed throughout the duration of the program.

My hope is that John’s already healthy diet, when combined with his increased exercise routine will take care of most of the required fat loss.

STAGE 1 – Schedule

This is what John’s week will look like in Stage 1.

MONDAY

Stretching – Core Stretches

SUNDAY

Joint Mobility – warm-up drill

Anerobic Endurance Training using Hill Sprints

Stretching – Big Session

Rest & Recovery

So rest and recovery are going to be vital if he is going to survive this.

My plan for R & R involves a variety of modalities which I will cover in a future post.

Well, I think that’s enough for today.

I will go into more detail in the next few posts.

How to Build a Ninja Warrior

Thanks.

1. jtwrenn

February 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I would love to get the full details on these workouts. I lost a bet through this years football season with my wife and now am going to try to get into Ninja Warrior competition level fitness. I would love to hear how you plan on getting this going.

2. Dave Stanley

August 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm

based upon your comment below, can you send me some additional details of the program? Thanks.

“I haven’t decided how much detail I will include in my posts – exercise descriptions, intensity percentages, rest periods, etc… If people want lots of detail, give me a shout. Otherwise I will probably just paint the broad strokes and let John fill in the details with his experiences.”

3. Nick Roberts

July 5, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I would love to see the specifics and details of this program. Would it be possible for you to email them to me. I am a NASM-CPT so I am very interested in attempting this training program. Thanks!

Nick Roberts

July 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Hi Nick,

This is one of my specialty programs that clients pay me for. As such, it wouldn’t be appropriate to give away all their secrets.

Doug

4. Pingback: Health Habits Workout-Week 52/Day 1

5. Pingback: Health Habits Workout – Week 51 – Day 3

6. Pingback: Health Habits Workout – Week 51 – Day 2

7. Resveratrol Buccal Delivery

August 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I think the one guy that was able to beat all levels of ninja warrior actually had a replica of the obstacles built so he could train for it.
    It’s sad that some people lose early on due to such small mistakes, but oh well, you only get one chance!

8. Pingback: Ninja Warrior training program? « Nutraceutical's Weblog

9. velodottore

January 24, 2010 at 10:45 am

People need to realise that V02max figures are like their top limit only when they are fully trained. For most athletes there is always a bit further they can push them. For the elite athlete they have to resort to other means.

10. Cheap Supplements Online

January 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I love that show, but I always thought the curtain thing would be pretty easy. Just grab a handful of curtain, and it’s pretty much like swinging on ropes then. I guess it would be tough if you were tired from other stuff.

October 8, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I could tell you…but then I would have to kill you

12. charliedw

October 8, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Will there be any training in actual Ninjitsu?

13. Metroknow

August 15, 2008 at 4:30 pm

I’ve watched that show numerous times and have no doubt that a ninja warrior I am not. YET.

I think you just outlined your new eBook DR….. :)

14. totaltransformation

August 15, 2008 at 2:26 pm

I have a feeling that for the first few weeks my only thought will be hunting DR down and giving him a serious beating for the excruciating pain of my workouts. I think it will take about a month before I turn the corner and find room in my aching body to thank him. HA!

August 15, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

But it’s John that needs the support.

All I did was prepare the program.

He’s the one who is going to have to follow through with my sadistic plan.

And Iis, good job on the English. I know that it would be a lot easier for you to blog in your native tongue. Much respect.

16. Iis Kusaeri

August 15, 2008 at 5:05 am

Wow, to be a ninja is difficult. I will go to Japan if I want to be it. But your article is fantastic.

17. Mark Salinas

August 14, 2008 at 6:36 pm

I think it looks absolutely fabulous! Good stuff!

18. totaltransformation

August 14, 2008 at 4:27 pm

“Oh, and for those of you who are curious about Big Baby’s progress; he is on Day 3 of the diet and no one has been murdered…yet.”

Well that definitely is a positive. HA!

“Throughout this experiment, I also have to be aware that John actually has a life, a family and full time school.”

I am just hoping my dog is up and around in about a week or so. I haven’t been able to leave him alone at home much since he gets whiny if I leave him alone- as he used to go on my runs with me and I think he is really jealous and depressed. If I can ascribe such emotions to a dog.