10 Ways to Burn 1 Pound of Body Fat – Vol. 1

• A pound of body fat is equal to 3500 calories,
  • There are 7 days in the week,
  • This means that if my Grade 3 math skills are still up to snuff AND you burn an extra 500 calories every day of the week,
  • You should burn 1 pound of body fat per week,

Now if only we new a few ways we could burn an extra 500 calories per day…

excuses dont burn calories 10 Ways to Burn 1 Pound of Body Fat   Vol. 1

THE LIST

Bicycling

• It will take the average American Male (191 lbs) 115 minutes, or almost 2 hours of Pleasure Cycling to burn 500 calories
  • It will take the average American Female (164 lbs) 135 minutes, or 2 and 1/4 hours of Riding Her Bike to Work to burn 500 calories
old fashioned bicycle 10 Ways to Burn 1 Pound of Body Fat   Vol. 1

Bicycling, leisure, Slower than 10 mph, to work or for pleasure

To find out how long it will take YOU to burn 500 calories…

• take your weight (ex 200 lbs),
  • divide by the average American weight – male or female ( ex 200 lb male / 191 lbs = 1.047),
  • and multiply the result by the average time that I calculated (ex 1.047 x 115 minutes = 120 minutes or two hours)
My calculations are based upon the CDC’s conclusion that the average American man weighs 191 lbs. and the average American woman weighs 164 lbs.

Prev1 of 10Next

1. Pingback: 10 Ways to Burn 1 Pound of Body-Fat...vol.2 - Health Habits

2. Pingback: 10 Ways to Burn one Pound of Body-Fat – Vol. 3

3. Pingback: Is Paleo + Intermittent Fasting the Ultimate Diet for Guys?

4. Nog

December 14, 2012 at 9:46 am

I realize this is a pretty old article, but do you have any numbers on Calorie burn per minute or hour for leisurely walking whilst carrying various amounts of additional weight like 5 lbs, 25 lbs, 50 lbs, 100 lbs, et cetera? (For instance, since your example of a 15 lb load for a 191lb man is mathematically burning 3.59712230/min [215.82733813/hour], does a 30 lb load burn exactly twice that [Yeah right, I wish it worked that way! Lol] or is it some other number?)

It sure would be interesting if it was a linear increase.

Maybe also numbers for running with various weights to see if it changes much as well?

Thanks for taking your time to do all that you do with this site. I just found it rather by google’s mistake whilst seeking volume calculations or size comparisons for body fat mass increments (1, 5, 10, 25 lbs), but I’m glad I read it anyway. Although I will say I was expecting (and hoping for) a much higher number on sex! :P

-Nog

5. kimslip

June 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I reposted the one about talking on the phone…LOL!

6. RosaMichelle

June 26, 2012 at 2:18 am

How much did I manage to take off while reading this???

7. Health and Wellness Products and Services

November 17, 2011 at 9:24 am

I’m motivated to lose 1 pound each week after seeing this. At first i thought that you need to do some hardcore work outs just to cut off some weights. I didn’t know that simple things can really help you if you wanted to lose some weights and get in shape. I’m gonna try this and i know it’s going to be great. Imagine, you’re exercising but you’re having a great time while doing it.

8. leslielempka.com

May 22, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Great content. I loved the visuals! Remember to reduce your free radicals by consuming healthy chocolate!

9. clairee

May 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Wow this is awesome!! Every summer I swim at my Dad’s neighborhood pool for 1/2 an hour on average since I’m at my mom’s some days. But when I’m at my Mom’s I help with yard work & I play sports with friends and stuff. Guess I’ll be loosing a lot of weight this summer!!
    PS. this is great information! Thanks sooo muchh!! (:

10. dojo

February 11, 2011 at 12:32 am

Re: Sitting and talking…no wonder I’m gaining weight bit by bit sitting at my desk working all day! Time to start taking some stair-climbing breaks.

11. @adelynnchaffin

August 25, 2010 at 4:53 am

Could I walk around with the extra weight on my ankles instead of carrying it? I have two ten pound ankle weights I’d like to try and use every day to burn an extra 500 calories a day…

August 25, 2010 at 6:46 am

Go for it!!!

I would suggest that you alternate between holding the “ankle” weights in your hands and wearing them on your ankles

• kimslip

May 25, 2012 at 6:17 am

I thought it was a bad idea all around to wear ankle weights while walking as it changes your gait and could cause new problems in alignment, etc.

12. Pingback: What does 1 pound of muscle compared to 1 pound of fat look like?? | PICFIT Health and Wellness

13. jeffreysnodgrass

August 19, 2008 at 3:43 pm

No problem, DR! I appreciate your blog! It’s inspiring.

July 23, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Gabrielle,

The ‘average’ American man would need to blog for 7 1/4 hours to burn 500 calories and the ‘average’ American woman would need to go for 8 1/2 hours.

Now I am sad…

Off to the gym

15. Steve Parker, M.D.

July 23, 2008 at 9:23 am

Great graphics! Thanks for your effort.

Now it’s easier to understand why, if you’re trying to lose weight, it’s easier to cut back on caloric intake that to exercise more. I often think about that while I’m eating a Snickers bar (about 280 cal).

-Steve

16. Shadowduck

July 23, 2008 at 8:53 am

Interesting that “fooling around” and talking on the phone both apparently take the same time to burn the 500. That’s unexpected – maybe I’m doing one or the other wrong, because the perceived exertion is certainly different. How about if I talk on the phone while fooling around?

Incidentally, why is the calculation for individual time exactly the same for every activity?

July 23, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Shadowduck,

The calculations are the same because I am an idiot. Need to fix that

DR

18. Gabrielle

July 23, 2008 at 2:56 am

Great post! How long does it take if your blogging?

19. Dr. J

July 23, 2008 at 12:32 am

Nice work!! You have a very well written and illustrated site. I’m enjoying reading it! Thanks!