Are you an Emotional Eater?
- Do your feelings drive your appetite and your eating behavior?
- Do you eat when you are not hungry?
- Do you continue to eat when you are full?…stuffed?…about to explode?
- Do you ever find yourself on the couch with your hand at the bottom of a LARGE bag of chips?
- Do you eat like this while you are alone?
- When you are bored?
- When you are stressed?
- To take your mind off of your problems?
- Do you feel guilty about this behavior?
If you answered YES to most of those questions, then you may be an Emotional Eater.
And you’re not alone.
Janet Jackson – Emotional Eater
Britney Spears – Emotional Eater
How Do You Beat Emotional Eating?
If you think that your emotional eating habits may constitute a threat to your health, please contact your doctor. But before you go see your Doc, check out this reference info:
What CanYou Do Right Now?!
One tool you should look into right away is an offshoot of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Buddhism and Mindfulness Meditation called Mindful Eating. Here are some links to mindful eating sites with lots of great info.
You may also want to look into Mindfulness Meditation, made popular by Jon Kabat-Zinn to get the broader picture of the Mindful Eating protocol. Mindfulness Meditation finds it’s origin in Buddhist teachings. The Buddhist practice of Mindfulness can be defined as “awareness of one’s thoughts, actions or motivations”.
- A similar practice is currently being espoused by Oprah’s protege, Mr. Eckhart Tolle.
- TLC’s – I Can Make You Thin with Paul McKenna employed mindful eating in it’s weight loss plan.
- In the 1920′s, Horace Fletcher was the diet guru of the day with his Mindfulness-based theory of Fletcherizing.
Mindful Eating – The Basics
Eat consciously. By this I mean:
- Take a bite of food
- Put down your implements/sandwich/glass/etc…
- Chew your food
- Taste your food
- Enjoy your food
- Repeat until you ‘think’ you are starting to feel full
- Stop Eating
- Eat again when you are hungry – not bored or nervous – listen for a ‘grumbly tummy’
That’s it…simple right???
Take a look at these posts...